Dr. BUI TRUNG THANH
DEAN, FACULTY OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
HUNG YEN UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY AND EDUCATION
Home Address: Dan Tien, Khoai Chau, Hung Yen, Viet Nam
1. From 1/2006 to 12/2008: Doctor of Engineering in Mechatronics, Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand.
Dissertation: Balancing Control of Bicycle Robot by Particle Swarm Optimization-Based Structure-Specified H2/H∞ Control
Advisor: Assoc. Prof, Dr. Manukid Parnichkun
2. From 7/2003 to 5/2005: Master of Engineering in Mechatronics, Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand.
Thesis: Control of a Rotary Inverted Pendulum System.
Advisor: Assoc. Prof, Dr. Manukid Parnichkun
3. From 8/1995 to 6/2000: Bachelor of Engineering in Telecommunication, University of Communication and Transport, Hanoi, Vietnam
Thesis: Integrated Services Digital Network (ISDN) and Its Applications in Vietnam
Advisor: Dr. Luu Duc Thuan
II. Professional Experiences
1. From 4/2013 to current: Dean, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Hung Yen University of Technology and Education.
2. From 01/2009 to 3/2013: Lecturer and Vice Dean, Faculty of Electronic and Electrical Engineering, Hung Yen University of Technology and Education, Hung Yen, Vietnam.
- Vice Dean for Research and Development (VDRD) of Faculty of Electronic and Electrical Engineering with more than 60 Faculty members.
- Teaching courses: Microprocessor and microcontroller; Introduction to mechatronics; C/C++ programming; Embedded Systems.
- Completed projects: Robot riding a bicycle; Development of automatic robots for ABU Robocon 2009; Autonomous mobile robot; Welding robot; Rescue robot.
3. From 6/2005 to 12/2005: Lecturer at University of Technology and Education – Hung Yen, Vietnam
- Teaching courses: Control theory, microprocessor and microcontroller, C/C++.
- Research projects:
Research member of Vietnam – Netherlands higher education project
4. From 1/2001 to 6/2003: Lecturer at University of Technology and Education – Hung Yen, Vietnam
- Teaching courses: Analog and digital circuits design, Microcontroller and microcomputer systems, Control theory
Serving as a reviewer for:
– Journal of Engineering Manufacture, Professional Engineering Publishing, United Kingdom.
– The 2010 International Conference on Advanced Technologies for Communications, Ho Chi Minh City 2010.
– The Third International Conference on Communications and Electronics, Nha Trang, 2010.
– 2008 IEEE Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics
– The Sixth Vietnam Conference on Automation, 2006 – VICA6
– Mac Thi Phuong (Master student – Thai Nguyen University of Technology). Using S60 mobile platform for SCADA systems, 2010.
– Tran Thi Bac, Truong Van Dinh, Nguyen Thi Binh (Bachelor students). Design and development of autonomous mobile robot, 2009.
– Tran Van Kiem, Nguyen Trung Duc, Ta Hong Phong (Bachelor students). Design and development of a educational KIT for ARM microcontroller (LPC2148), 2009.
– Pham Viet Dung, Tran Thi Thanh Loan (Bachelor students). Design and manufacturing of a 3 DOF welding robot prototype using PLC, 2009 .
– Nguyen Tai Lan, Nguyen Minh Quang, Tran Phuong Thanh (Bachelor students). Development of a rescue robot, 2009.
III. Research Interests
1. Robotics: Mobile robots, human-robot interaction, sensor fusion
2. Advanced control engineering: Robust and optimal H2/H∞ Control, Adaptive and intelligent control
3. Evolutionary computation: Genetic algorithm, Particle swarm optimization, and Ant colony optimization
4. Embedded systems and circuit design: Real-time operating systems, microcontroller/microprocessor-based design, embedded PC.
1. Full scholarship for PhD program at Asian Institute of Technology by Vietnam Government
2. Outstanding coursework student (GPA 4.0/4.0) for PhD program at AIT
3. Full scholarship for Master program at Asian Institute of Technology by Vietnam Government
Books, Lecture-notes and Theses
1. Bui Kim Thoa, Bui Trung Thanh. Digital Electronics. Science and Engineering Publishing House, Vietnam, 2010 (In press).
2. Bui Trung Thanh, Pham Duc Hung. Embedded Systems, Lecture note, Hung Yen University of Technology and Education, January 2010.
3. Bui Trung Thanh. Balancing control of bicycle robot by particle swarm optimization-based structure-specified H2/H∞ control. DEng. Thesis, Asian Institute of Technology, 2008.
4. Bui Trung Thanh. Control of a rotary inverted pendulum system. MEng. Thesis, Asian Institute of Technology, 2005.
International Conference Papers
1. Pham Ngoc Thang, Bui Trung Thanh (2010). Error Reduction in Non-electric Measurement by Interpolation Combined with Loop Transformation Method. In Proceedings of The 2010 International Conference on Advanced Technologies for Communications, HCM city, 22-23 October 2010.
2. Bui Trung Thanh, Nguyen Dinh Uyen, Mai Linh (2010). Application of Systems on Chip (SoCs) for Recent Robotic Reseaches. In Proceedings of The IEICE Workshop on Integrated Circuit Design in Vietnam, HCM city, 16-18 August 2010.
International Journal Papers (including in SCIE)
1. Bui Trung Thanh, Manukid Parnichkun, Le Chi Hieu (2010). Structure-specified H∞ loop shaping control for balancing of bicycle robots: A particle swarm optimization approach. Journal of Systems and Control Engineering, Vol.224(7).
2. Bui Trung Thanh, Manukid Parnichkun (2008). Balancing control of Bycirobo by PSO-based structure-specified mixed H2/H∞ control. International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems, Vol. 5(4), pp. 395-402.
National Journal Papers
1. Tran Thi Thu Huong, Pham Thi Mai, Nguyen Duy Nhat, Bui Trung Thanh (2009). Development of a mobile rescue robot prototype at Hung Yen University of Technology and Education. UTEHT Journal of Science and Technology; 8(1): pp 120-127.
2. Bui Trung Thanh, Tran Thi Bac, Truong Van Dinh, Nguyen Thi Binh (2009). Design and manufacturing of an autonomous mobile robot using omn-directional wheel. UTEHY Journal of Science and Technology; 7(4): pp.235-239.
3. Bui Trung Thanh, Pham Ngoc Thang (2007). Mechatronics education at Hung Yen University of Technical Education: Strength and challengings. UTEHY Journal of Science and Technology; 1(3): pp. 120-125.
4. Bui Trung Thanh, Nguyen Huu Cong (2005). Control of an inverted pendulum. In: Proceedings of the Sixth Vietnam Conference on Automation – VICA6, pp. 715-722.
VI. Research Projects
1. Project 1: Sensor fusion for human fall detection. Fund of Vietnam National University-HCM city, 2010 (Budget: 140.000.000 VND) – member.
2. Project 2: Design and development of a rescue robot. Fund of Vietnam – Netherlands Higher Education Project, 2009 (Budget: 5000 Euro) – investigator.
3. Project 3: Development of a robot riding bicycle. Fund of Ministry of Education and Training, 2009-2010 (Budget: 100.000.000 VND) – investigator.
4. Project 4: Development of an autonomous mobile robot for home applications. Fund of Hung Yen University of Technology and Education, 2009 (Budget: 9.000.000 VND) – investigator.
VII. Languages and Skills
1. English: Fluent
2. Computer basics: Ms Office, Windows
3. Programming: C/C++, Visual Basic, Assembly, Pascal, PLC/WinCC
4. Simulation Software and CAD/CAM: AutoCAD, Solidworks, MATLAB, LabVIEW, OrCAD
5. Communication, presentation, and problem solving skills: Very good
My research on Bicycle Robot was featured by TV5 channel – Thailand and HTV9 channel – Vietnam
IX. Hobbies and Sports
- Participating in social activities, traveling
- Reading books related to the art, literature and philosophy
- Music collections
- Football, Table tennis
1. Ass. Prof, Dr. Manukid Parnichkun, School of Engineering and Technology – Asian Institute of Technology. Email: email@example.com
2. Ass. Prof, Dr. Nitin V. Afzulpurkar, School of Engineering and Technology – Asian Institute of Technology. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Ass. Prof, Dr. Weerakorn Ongsakul, School of Environment, Resouces and Development – Asian Institute of Technology. Email: email@example.com